Tuesday, June 9, 2009

THE GOWN








I will never forget the day....July 8 1991. My belly was bursting, I thought she would never come out. Was it possible to be pregnant forever? Once she arrived I thought she would never grow up, at least not all of the way.  But the minutes turn into hours, then days, months, years, and one day......They come home with a shiny square cardboard hat carefully covered in the school spirit colors and a gown to match.  I brought her home from the hospital in a gown, a sweet little layette in cotton candy pink pastel. I loved her little gowns, she wore them almost everyday. They look like infants longer in the layette gowns.. As I was ironing the polyester grey gown of graduation, I couldn't comprehend how 18 years had slipped through my fingers. 
When a baby is born, they cut the cord because the baby no longer needs the blood supply of the mother. But there is an invisible cord that takes it's place, You can't see it or touch it, but every mother knows it's there. I know that It's time to set her free, but this kind of cord cutting hurts much worse than the labor pains. There is also the extreme joy that is so much like the joy you feel when you meet them for the first time. Once a mother, always a mother, and then a grandmother and if you are graced with a lot of good years, then you will pose for the 4 generation photo as great grandmother. Ashlee, congratulations! As the good book (dr. seuss) say's, you have brains in your head and feet in your shoes, you can go any direction you choose!!
Whatever the path, I will always be here with my not to be humble opinions, and love that will span the circular time of past, present and future!! You make me proud Smashlee!! 

Wheheww!!! class of 2009....We both made it. (My twitches have almost stopped)
P.S. we never grow up all the way! That's what makes life so sweet.


2 comments:

TnD said...

Congratulations Momma. My oldest is only two and I am already dreading the day she will leave our "nest". Your post is beautifully written.

The Richardsons said...

Tre you almost made me cry! You are such a great mom to your kids, they are so lucky to have you and all your amazing talents and love.