Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thoughts from my 9 year old....



Sunday night, sitting on the bed, Connor came into my room kind of somber and this is what came out of his mouth (nearly word for word) my son is a very deep thinker, an old soul.....


Mom I was just thinking, about how I have all these nice things, nice parents and good friends, and the animals that live on earth that I think that are cool. I think about how the pioneers settled the land for us and how all the army men are out there risking their lives so that we can be free. (tears streaming down his face) Our earth is so nice. I don't like construction guys who build 5 star hotels and ruin the habitat of the animals. I think about these things all of the time. Im happy that Thomas Edison made the lightbulb so that Im not afraid of the dark. Mom where are our ancestors from? I said England and Denmark, and Scotland. Do we have any Native americans in our family? "no i reply". So then Im not american? Well you were born in America so you are American. "but my heritage isn't". (Deep thoughts) His sweet thoughts had Ashlee and I in tears. Such big things to be thinking about at 9 years old. Im touched by his gratitude and realize that he is paying attention to big issues.


Im not sure if its a Martindale thing or if others say "Oh I have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn." Connor said recently, "Mom we shouldn't say that anymore." "Why?" "Well, grandpa Martindale's name is Don and when you say "the butt crack of dawn" people will think we are talking about his butt crack. Haaa. his brain is a curious thing.







1 comment:

The Richardsons said...

I just can't wait to see the amazing man Connor is going to grow into. What a guy!