I've spent the last 18 years "Kid trapped" {good excuse anyway}. We had Ashlee and Ian, and then an 8 year gap when connor joined us, three years after that Sydnie made our crew complete. But you see, when they are all so spread out, there is always a baby. UNTIL NOW!!
We went for a weekend at our Solitude Condo, and like a bad habit, I waffled about skiing. Im way to old, never really tried, don't have the gear, blah blah blah...
John went down to our storage lockers to get Ashlee's snowboard and other bits and pieces, but returned with a deal breaker. He handed me a single ski boot and told me to try it on. {??} K..
"how does it feel?" I said "I think it fits, what am I to do with it?? He said "Get dressed love, you are skiing today!" Hmmm?? What?? He said that there was a sign in the locker room.."Free skii's and boots to a good home." My heart was racing, Crap, how do I get out of this?? I was so scared. I was scared that the "free skii's" would be ugly, rusted out, fashion Don'ts!! But also scared that my orphaned skiis would carry me to a certain cold icy death. Did I ever mention how much I hate being cold?? When I get cold, my appendages literally go numb. My bones feel like frozen Ice spears, and It takes major effort to warm up!! But my heart warmed when I met my new free skii's. They were actually kind of cute. Turquoise blue with yellow bits, I felt like they looked good with my hodge podge ski outfit!! The universe aligned that day, it was with great trepidation that I strapped on these "kind of cute" death sticks to my robot feet. I was hand in hand with my 6 year old sydnie scootching along in the snow arriving at the bunny hill ski lift. I asked the lift operator to please stop the chair, I just knew it would catapult me into outerspace. We made it up just fine. Stopped the lift again at the top to dismount and then with great courage, and my 6 year old by my side, we began our decent down the bunny hill. {it felt like a black diamond to me just so ya know} and then.....the magic. I managed to stay upright, took to the "pizza and french fry concept" and felt the wind in my face. I was instantly addicted. What fun, pure joy, and then it hit me... What the Crap!!! how many years have I waisted staying in the condo or lodge, or home for that matter. It was an awakening that could only come as I near 40. After 3 runs on the bunny hill, I needed more. We braved the moonbeam run, much steeper and faster and funner!! And yes... I am still kid trapped, will be for years to come, difference. Traded in changing diapers for skiis, and the kids make great companions on the hill. I need to work out my ski outfit. In this picture, I feel like the kid in the "Christmas story". I borrowed Ian's goggles. They were way to big. They kind of pinched my nose closed. Thank goodness we have a mouth for a back up plan {or I would have suffocated}. I had so much fun, I took Syd and Connor up the next weekend by myself. Yes people It's true, I loved it that much!! My 40's will rock!! Yay!!


2 comments:
Love this story. Much the same for me when Ali and Brooke to "mother" skiing this year. I love being 40!
Go You! I've only been once and didn't have quite as much fun, but you are awesome for jumping in with both feet (literally!) and having a blast! I knew there was a reason you're my favorite aunt!
Post a Comment